Кафедра связей с общественностью была создана в июле 2001 года. Ее рождение предопределила сама жизнь. Еще в 1990 году на факультете Международной информации (которому в настоящее время возвращено исконное название — факультет Международной журналистики) был введен экспериментальный курс по связям с общественностью В 1991 году было создано отделение связей с общественностью, а первый выпуск студентов по специальности СО датируется 1992 годом.
Развитие специальности, возрастающий интерес к ней и осознание важности работы по связям с общественностью практически во всех структурах и сегментах общества продиктовали необходимость создания специальной кафедры, осуществляющей подготовку специалистов для государственных и коммерческих структур, для средств массовой информации и общественных, социальных, религиозных организаций, для крупных корпораций и финансовых учреждений.
На кафедре читаются следующие дисциплины:
- Введение в специальность.
- Менеджмент в связях с общественностью.
- Теория и практика рекламы.
- Работа ПР-агентства.
- Современная пресс-служба.
- Информационное обеспечение внешней политики.
- Актуальные проблемы СО.
- Мастер-класс СО: Связи с общественностью в сфере политики, Связи с общественностью в сфере бизнеса, Связи с общественностью в государственных структурах.
На кафедре работают не только штатные преподаватели, но и известные практики PR, многие из которых являются выпускниками факультета журналистики МГИМО.
Кафедра курирует работу Учебно-методического Совета по связям с общественностью, ведет активную работу по разработке и обновлению учебных программ по специальности СО, по экспертизе, лицензированию и аттестации вузов, открывших эту специальность, по рецензированию рукописей для присвоения грифа УМО «Учебник» и «Учебное пособие».
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
Department of Public Relations was founded in 2001 as a successor of the Public Relations branch established in 1991 at the School of International Information (now School of International Journalism). It deals primarily with the development of theory and research in the field of public relations and advertising, branding and brand-building, structure of press services etc.
The department trains specialists in the area of public relations for a wide range of organizations and institutions (both governmental and non-governmental or private structures), mass media, public, social and religious organizations, large corporations and financial institutions. It strives to prepare students for successful careers in the area of public relations and work in a global society.
Its main goal is to impart practical skills to the students, thinking, communication, self-presentation and team-working skills, and perse approaches to understanding of modern global processes. It aims at developing critical and creative thinking, analytical and reasoning skills and the ability to analyze information, solve problems, and effectively respond to change.
Graduating students are needed on the market and work in press services, public relations departments and advertising agencies in both Russian and international corporations and institutions.
The work is done in cooperation with the business community through attracting specialists in the area of public relations from private corporations, advertising and consulting agencies and governmental structures. They conduct master classes, case studies, organize business games and various trainings and use other forms of interactive cooperation with the students.
- PR fundamentals (examination of American, West European, Russian schools of PR, studying of main PR instruments, PR as communication management)
- PR technologies
- Advertizing as communication instrument (marketing mix, marketing communications and advertizing, direct marketing, sales promotion, analysis of advertizing campaigns, studying sociology and psychology in advertizing)
- Branding(theory and practice of trade-marked articles creation and its advance in the market space)
- Advertising (theory and practice of common marketing communications),
- Territory branding (development of an attractive image and brand image of country, region, city and touristic places).
- Actual press services
- Integrated Political Communications (studying history of political consulting in Russia and main political technologies: political advertisement, imageology, political PR, analysis of numerous political case-studies and participation in a simulation game "Elections")
- Public Opinion Manipulation Techniques (the primary goals of the course are: to equip students with the knowledge, skills necessary to understand the place and role of public opinion manipulation in various fields and to identify and analyze major trends in development of manipulation techniques. The course helps students to explore, assess and effectively resist various manipulation techniques in their future professional activity. It also helps students to develop the unique system of competences allowing them to become not only an expert on anti-manipulation techniques, but also a successful manager and a crisis response consultant in a situation of an information war)
- Fundamentals of Running a PR-agency (The main goals of the course are: firstly, to give students ideas about the core principles of organization of a PR-agency. Secondly, with the help of real world examples and case studies students learn and understand how a PR-team works on various projects. Thirdly, the course allows students to learn effective techniques of team management on different levels. And, fourthly, the course aims to help students to develop a unique system of competencies and acquire practical skills of organizing the work of a project team)
- Political Consulting in Russia and the U.S. (This course aims to provide students with knowledge and skills necessary to understand the role of political consulting in the political systems of Russia and the United States. The course introduces students to various political consulting techniques applied in Russia and the U.S., also allowing them to develop a unique system of analytical and communication competencies. The course analyzes the development of the modern system of political communications, explores recent trends in the business of political consulting, and identifies key problems and centers of power in the political communication field. The course involves a detailed study of the elements of strategic planning of a political campaign and teaches students skills necessary to develop a strategic plan for a political campaign for various candidates, as well as skills to evaluate the effectiveness of a political campaign)
- State and public regulation of advertising and information activity
- Social communications in postmodern world (Case study on commercial public relations, on political public relations, PR-campaign analysis). Using website (on-line) communication as a new innovative form of cooperation between students and the lecturer.
- Master classes: PR in business, PR in public sector, PR in governmental structures
Head of the Department
Valery D. Solovei, professor, Dr. habil in History
Graduated from Moscow State Institute, worked in Russian Academy of Sciences and the Gorbachev Foundation, and in 1995 was trained in London School of Economics and Political Sciences. The author of 4 monographs and numerous publications on Russian history and politics.
Specialization: Public Relations in politics, political communications, political consulting, state and media, media manipulations, psychological manipulations skills, media relations.
Igor J. Rozhkov, Professor, Dr. habil in Economics, a merit member of the higher education school in Russia.
Possesses high practical experience in advertising including the knowledge obtained during the long-term business trip to the USA. Held executive positions in "Vneshtorgreklama", "Soyuzreklama" and "Paradigma" advertising group. Headed the Soviet-American-Hungarian joint company "Tissa, Ogilvy and Mather". Had some training in the United States, England, France, Austria and practical studies in China and India. Author of monographs, including “International Advertising”, “From Branding toward Brand Building”, “Brands and Images” training aids and numerous articles about advertising, advertising marketing and management, commercial and territory branding.
Specialization: advertising and marketing technologies, branding and brand building, image-making. While teaching uses widely multimedia, business games and case studies.
Elena P. Smolskaya, Associate professor, Ph. D. in History, Deputy head of the Department
Graduated from MGIMO (University) in 1983.
Specialization: advertizing, marketing communications, PR, direct marketing, sales promotion, advertizing campaigns, media planning, sociology and psychology in advertizing, branding
Alexander S. Tarasov, Associate professor, Ph.D. in History
Graduated from Moscow Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia, (post-)graduate course of Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation, Secretary of journalism department academic council. The author of numerous publications on Journalism and Public Relations.
Specialization: fundamentals of media effects, media relations
Vladimir N. Filippov, Associate professor Ph.D. in History
In MGIMO University since 1974. The author of a wide range of scientific publications such as Planning and Programming in PR, Functions, Areas of Responsibilities of Corporate PR departments and independents PR agencies, PR Technologies, Types of PR-documents, Types of PR-events and activities, PR-brief. A Co-author of “Theory and Practice of Public Relations” major manual for students in PR.
Areas of Scientific and Practical Specialization and Expertise: media relations, consumer relations, government relations, lobbying, crisis communications, special PR events, integrated communications, corporate relations.
Specialization: international information and cross culture communications, scientific guidance of student’s diploma workings, expert’s consultancies in PR and integrated communications.
Elena V. Zaburdaeva, Associate professor, Ph.D. in Sociology
Deputy Dean of the School of International Journalism
After graduating from MGIMO Elena Zaburdaeva worked at the Information Agency "Photo ITAR-TASS" coordinating the agency’s network of correspondents in Moscow. Later she worked at the Presidential Executive Office’s Department of Information tasked with providing information support to the counter-terrorist operation in Chechen Republic.
Ms. Zaburdaeva’s later roles include working as a PR-executive at WEREX GmbH and the advertising syndicate "Hidalgo Image".
Since September 2005 she serves as the Deputy Dean of the School of International Journalism at MGIMO University.
Elena Zaburdaeva’s theoretical and practical achievements are reflected in numerous publications, which include a course textbook and a number of distance-learning course materials prepared under the Innovative Education Program at the MGIMO (University) MFA of Russia.
Ms. Zaburdaeva has spoken at numerous scientific and practical conferences and seminars, including the meeting of the expert council on the role of media during election campaigns organized by the Public Chamber of Russia. She also repeatedly led the meetings of scientific sections at the annual forum of young PR-experts organized by the Russian Association of PR-students. Since 2007 also works as a business coach for leading Russian companies in strategic communications.
In 2008 Elena Zaburdaeva won a research grant from MGIMO to develop a new academic course on practices of contemporary political consulting and public opinion manipulation. As part of this project Ms. Zaburdaeva had an opportunity to become a fellow researcher at the George Washington University and the London School of Economics.
In 2012 Elena Zaburdaeva wrote “Political Campaign: Strategies and Techniques”.
Specialization: mass communication, effects of mass communication, media relations, communication aspect of crisis management, public opinion manipulation, information warfare, information security, political campaigning, creative writing
Vladimir N. Ivanov, Professor, Ph.D. in History
Director of the East West Institute's Moscow Office. Before his current position, Vladimir was responsible for overseeing and managing EWI's Fiscal Transparency Program, including the publication of a series of studies on fiscal flows between the Federal Budget and the Regions. The author of numerous articles published in the Russki Telegraf and Vremya Novostej on Russian economics, received a B.A. in International Journalism
Specialization: social sciences research, business journalism, public relations, journalism and public relations management training, and strategic business planning.
Anastasia V. Kochetkova, Professor, Ph.D. in Sociology
Works in the press service of the mayor’s office (Moscow).
Specialization: PR in public sector, actual press service, crisis management
Ludmila S. Salnikova, Associate professor, Ph.D. in Sociology
Head of communicative agency «L.S. Consulting», was trained in the USA, The Great Britain and other European countries. Worked as a Project Director in the international PR-agency ”Burson – Marsteller”. The author of such publications as “Authority, Image, Reputation” and “Reputation in Russian Business: Creating and Strengthening Techniques”.
Specialization: public relations in business, reputation management, business communications and corporate culture
Anton V. Goumensky, Assistant professor
Specialization: Internet communications, social networking, corporate culture, international communications management, social communications theory